Management Skills Resources
You have come to the right place for the best management skills resources on the internet. Every week I curate the best resources on management skills in one place. I hope you find this content of value and that it helps you in your management journey. Check out the articles below organized by category.
Dealing with Stress
Turning Problems into Opportunities
- Leaders Don’t Fix Problems, They Turn them into Opportunities – whether a manager or business owner we need to see the opportunities in our problems.
- Turning a Problem into an Opportunity – We can either be reactive to problems, which leads to higher levels of stress or proactive anticipating and responding to change.
- How Top Executives Turn Problems into Opportunities, and You Can, Too – Problem solve, pivot, listen, and learn – pretty simple.
- Turning Problems into Opportunities – Remove can’t from your vocabulary and way of thinking.
- The Power of Positive Thinking – how you look at a problem will determine your outcome.
- Focus on Possibilities (not Problems) During Difficult Times– this is an older article but the points remain valid. Without a plan you will fail.
- Turning Problems into Solutions (Video) – A neat little video that looks at focusing on what is right instead of what is wrong.
- The Four Most Effective Ways Leaders Solve Problems – “The most effective leaders approach problems through a lens of opportunity.”
- The Four Pillars of Seeing Opportunities in Problems – Awesome thoughts on the unity of problems and opportunity.
- Don’t See Obstacles, See Opportunities – some wise words from Richard Branson. Opportunity is where you look.
- Ryan Holiday: How Challenges Become Opportunities for Entrepreneurs – Make choices not excuses.
- Leading with Passion
- Passionate Leaders aren’t Loud – They’re Deep – “When leaders are truly passionate, people feel included in the leader’s commitment, part of making important things happen.”
- 5 Key Traits of Great Leaders – to be a great leader you must first have a vision and then have passion for that vision.
- Lead with Passion or Don’t Bother Leading at All – Some good advice for stoking passion in those that you lead.
- The First Line Manager: You Have Got to Have Passion About Our Business – Feeling passionate in your work requires you to see a purpose higher than yourself.
- Good Leaders Get Emotional – It’s ok to show emotion, get excited, and be vulnerable. Do it right and be yourself.
- The Art of Passionate Leadership – passionate leadership is about showing care for others.
- The Leadership Philosophy of 3 P’s: Passion, Purpose, People – Passion, purpose, and people – You need all three.
- Leadership Skills #2: Great Leaders Ignite Passion – Optimism and tolerance are part of maintaining passion as a leader.
- Passion in Leadership – Have you thought about what role compassion and equanimity play in the role of being a leader with passion?
Bad Managers (And How to Avoid Becoming One)
- 6 Most Familiar “Bad Manager” Types, and What to do About Them – 6 types of bad bosses and what makes them bad.
- What Makes a Bad Boss Bad? – Are you a bad boss? See what makes a bad boss.
- Ten Signs You Might Have a Bad Boss – Defining what makes a bad boss can help you avoid being one.
- 39 Traits of a Bad Boss – Know the traits of a bad boss to avoid being one.
- Bad Boss? Seven Management Moves to Avoid (Slide Show) – a slide show on 7 tactics you want to avoid that only a bad boss would do.
- 19 Ways to Be a Bad Boss – if you really want to be a bad boss have at – here’s how.
- Do You Have a Bad Employee or are You a Bad Boss – Bad employee or bad boss. What is the real problem.
- 7 Signs You May be a Bad Manager – we all need to look in the mirror and see if we might be bad managers. It takes courage to look deep.
- Top 11 Signs that You’re a Bad Boss – check out these 11 signs to see if you are a bad boss.
- 10 Signs that You’re a Terrible Boss and What to do About it – Don’t be a horrible boss. Get outside yourself and think of others.
- The Absolute Worst Stories of Horrible Bosses we Could Find – here are some stories of horrible bosses that should be enlightening to you
- What You Can Learn from a Bad Boss– Got a bad boss, learn what you can.
- Dealing with a Bad Boss: Strategies for Coping – some tips for dealing with a bad boss – we’ve all had them.
- Horrible Bosses: How not to be a Terrible Manager – Good managers get to know their people and learn how to manage to each persons strengths.
- Bad Boss Behavior (And What you can do to Avoid it) – Good managers get to know their people and learn how to manage to each persons strengths.
- Bad Boss / Best Boss – Excellent article with a great exercise at the end for thinking about being a good manager
General People Management Skills
- Eight Tips for Dealing With Difficult People – not only do we deal with difficult subordinates but we also deal with difficult coworkers who also need to be dealt with.
- 10 Easy Tips for Dealing with Difficult People – some great general principles for dealing with people and thinking outside ourselves.
- Managing the Unmanageable: The Six Most Common Type of Difficult Employees – do any of these people sound familiar to you?
- How to Deal with a “Difficult” Employee – when dealing with difficult people we need to realize that the only person we can change is ourselves.
Managing Difficult People
- How to Stay Positive When Everyone Around you is Complaining – some great advice for dealing with difficult people in general.
- Positive Steps for Managing Conflict – conflict is natural and can be positive is handled properly.
- The Strategic Guide to Managing Difficult People – thorough look at legal and behavior aspects of difficult employees.
- 5 Ways to Deal with Difficult People – how do we take a negative and turn it into a positive.
- 12 Ways Successful People Handle Toxic People – How successful people deal with toxic people.
- 9 Ways to Deal with Difficult Employees – you control your interactions with difficult people.
- 5 Tips for Dealing with Difficult Employees – this article gives more of an HR perspective to managing difficult people.
- Nightmare Employees – let’s face it some people are a nightmare to manage.
Dealing with Complainers
- How to Complain Less – are you a complainer? At some point we all are. Here are some tips to avoid it.
- Complaining is Terrible for You, According to Science – complaining is as bad for the complainer as those who have to endure it.
- How to Protect Yourself from Chronic Complainers – ” the best thing you can do is to disrupt the flow of negativity by asking this simple question, “What would you like to do about it?”
- 7 Tips for Dealing with Chronic Complainers – Express empathy, show appreciation, no cheering up, ask for a solution.
- Dealing with Difficult People: The Chronic Complainers – sometimes just empathizing can neutralize a complainer.
- Listening to Complainers is Bad for Your Brain – don’t let a complainer get in your head and affect your attitude.
Dealing with Bad Attitudes
- Dealing with Duds: How to Handle Employees with Bad Attitudes – documentation is important in handling employees with bad attitudes
- Does Your Rock Star Have a Bad Attitude? – Do you have any High Performing Bad-Apples?
- 10 Questions to Help you Deal with Negative Employees – 10 questions to help you understand your negative employee
- Motivating the Negative Nancy on Your Team – we need to find ways to motivate our negative employees.
- How to Counsel Employees with Attitude Problems – check out the 10 tips for dealing with attitudes at the end of this article.
- Employee Coaching: Dealing with “Bad Attitude” Employees – you cannot change people you can only work to change behaviors.
- How to Discuss Attitude with a Subordinate – “Address the behavior that comes from the employees attitude”
- Employee Job Satisfaction and Workplace Attitudes – sometimes we as managers are the cause of sour attitudes in our employees.
Dealing with Responsibility Avoidance
- Ask Inc.: 10 Tips on Countering Lazy Employees – find the root cause to the employee problem.
- The Do’s and Don’ts of Dealing with a Slacking Coworker – sometimes it takes a persons peers to get them to change, here are tips to help your employees deal with a slacking coworker.
- T.H.U.M.P. – 5 Ways to Deal with Irresponsible People – in our personal as well as professional life we deal with irresponsible people. Here are 5 ways to deal.
- Create a Culture of Responsibility – it is a manager’s job to create a culture of responsibility.
- How to Make Employee Accountability a Real Process – holding people accountable is how you manage those who don’t take responsibility for their actions.
- Talk Less to get Your Employees to Listen – is it possible that it isn’t the employee that is the problem but you?
- When Your Employee Doesn’t Take Feedback – how we deliver feedback is as important as how it is received.
- Helping People Take Responsibility – ” if people fail to take responsibility, they’ll fail in their jobs, they’ll fail their teams, and they’ll fail to grow as individuals”.
Dealing with Know-it-All’s or Spokes People
- Employees Should Mind Their Own Business – tips for dealing with busy bodies and tattle tales.
- How to Deal with Your Workplaces Mr. or Mrs. Know-it-All – a know-it-all can present themselves as a spokesperson and here is how to deal with it.
- How to Cultivate Engaged Employees – though it may irritate you, letting go of your own ego is the best way to engage your employees.
- Should You Fear or Praise the Office Tattletale – do you view the reporting of misconduct good or disruptive?
- How to Handle Difficult Behavior in the Workplace – considering viewpoints and listening are two skills that can help overcome misunderstanding.
- Over-Opinionated People, and How to Deal with Them – over-opinionated people can be hard to reel in – some good, quick tips for dealing with these people
- How to Deal with Opinionated People – when dealing with opinionated people keep your cool, show respect, and find common ground.
Seeking and Receiving Feedback Skills
- A Manager’s Guide to Getting Feedback – nobody likes criticism but it takes real courage and leadership to seek it out and be willing to change.
- Taking Constructive Criticism like a Champ – sometimes in order to be great at something you have to be brave.
- How to Get Feedback When You’re the Boss – too often we forget that we need to seek feedback from our subordinates so we may serve better.
- 4 Ways to Get Truly Honest Feedback from Employees – Employee feedback is important but how do you get it?
- Kill the Suggestion Box – There’s a Much Better Way – I love this idea. Kind of like a continuous Kaizen event.
- Receive Feedback with Grace and Dignity – Feedback must be received with dignity and grace if we want to encourage it.
- How to Get the Feedback you Need – It’s hard asking for feedback, but the more you do it the easier it gets.
- Want to Improve Your Performance? Then Ask Others for Feedback – Here is a very precise and clearly laid out way to solicit feedback
- How to Get Feedback from Employees – Engage employees and then act on what you learn.
- How to Ask for Feedback from Employees on Your Management Skills – A very concise and systematic way to ask for feedback.
- How to Encourage Feedback from Employees on Your Own Performance – Address employee’s fears, ask for context, acknowledge, feedback.
- How Managers get Upward Feedback from Their Team – Upward feedback creates trusting teams.
- Mindful Feedback – while not completely about receiving feedback this does a good job of looking at the psychological process that feedback evokes.
- How Feedback is Good for You – Some great insights into the importance of feedback and how to receive it.
Time Management Skills
List Building Skills
5 Best To-Do List Managers – with so many great list apps to choose from there is no excuse for not using lists to get organized and on task.
Beyond the List: 8 Powerful Ways to Manage Your Tasks – a great article that goes into a number of different task management strategies and discusses their pros and cons.
To-Do Lists Don’t Work – while I don’t agree with everything in this article it does point out some of the short comings of list building.
Energy, Time, Priority, Work/Life: 4 New Ways to Organized Your To-Do List – deciding on priorities and scheduling time is and important part of your list.
How to Cultivate a More Meaningful To-Do List – your own traits and emotions can give motivational context to your to-do list.
Crazy To-Do List? Here’s What to Tackle First – understanding your limitations can help you prioritize your to-do list.